Tuesday, February 19, 2008

On the Road (Putting this not for cliche reasons, but because I love Jack Kerouac)

Apparently, you can't type blog posts and drive at the same time, and by the time I've gotten in every night I've been too dog-tired -- or too excited to go out and see a new city -- that I've failed to keep my blog updated. I'm writing this from Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, and in a few minutes am headed for Santa Fe, New Mexico (about an eight hour drive, from what my GPS and Google Maps tells me). So this is about as short-winded, Twitter style (though still way more characters) as I can possibly be. I''ll have more to write about each place later on, including descriptions of the changing terrain as I head westbound.

Friday, 02.15.2008

Took off from my office in Framingham and started south to get to New York City for the evening, my hotel at the Doubletree on E. 51st and Lexington. When I arrived, a woman old enough to be my mother told me I looked "cute," and as a result would give me a suite (with a balcony) for no extra charge.

In the evening, met up with my dear friend Nicole, who arranged a dinner reservation for us at The Garage, a nice jazz club/bar in West Village. Afterward, we went to a piano bar, which was also great fun. Then her roommate dragged us to a trendy bar that (unsurprisingly) I hated and then called it a night sometime later.

Saturday, 02.16.2008

To Charlottesville, VA to see my grandfather. He seemed in good spirit despite being far less mobile than he used to. It was wonderful to see him.

Sunday, 02.17.2008

Long day on the road, swinging down along southwestern Virginia and into Tennessee. Spent the night in Nashville and took in some bluegrass music at The Station Inn. Really awesome, honest music, and I met the owner, JT, who is pictured here on their website. We talked about where I was from and where I was headed, and he wished me luck on my journey as I settled out a tab for a bunch of Budweiser and pizza.

Monday 02.18.2008

Lunch in Memphis, but then just a horrendous drive through Arkansas and into Oklahoma.

Tuesday 02.19.2008

Off to Santa Fe.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I'm so glad you posted! I have been checking the blog to see where you are and how it's been. I'm so jealous you are headed to Santa Fe. Are you taking pictures too?